By Colleen Martin
Dear Shoreline Families,
Report Cards: Second quarter just ended, so the semester report card contains grades for both first and second quarters as well as a semester grade. Be sure to check your student’s grades at Illuminate Home Connection: https://losd.illuminatehc.com (Call the office for your log in information)
2nd Step Social Skills Curriculum: We are implementing a Social Skills Curriculum called 2nd STEP. The Physical Education Teachers and our school counselor taught lessons on recognizing bullying. These lessons are part of our school-wide approach to preventing bullying. In February, each student will take an anonymous computer survey to give the school feedback about school safety and bullying.
Parking Lot: Please form two lines when dropping off or picking up your student in our parking lot. Do not stop in any RED ZONES. Two lanes are blocked off for PARKING, only. Do not attempt to drive around the barricades, move the barricades or drive backwards out of a lane. The purpose of two drop off lines as well as two rows of parking, only, is to allow as many cars into the Shoreline parking lot and OFF of 17th Avenue, so traffic can continue to flow. We prevent merging in our parking lot because it has caused conflict.
School Dance: Our next school dance is on Friday, February 24th from 4-6pm. Students must arrive by 4:30pm. The cost of the dance is $5. Please be on time to pick up your students at 6pm.
Reading: All students took their second AR STAR reading assessment during the first week of January (enclosed in this envelope). Students should be reading 30 minutes per night in order to reach their AR goal for the quarter and finish the year with at least one year’s growth in their reading level. Middle school students need your help with signing their reading logs and encouraging them to read every night.
Yearbooks: Yearbooks are for sale in the office for $40.
Parent Survey and Shoreline Open House: Parent surveys will were mailed home on January 9th. They are due byJanuary 27th . Our school library will receive $500 from the district if we have 40% parent participation on the survey. Parents can take it on-line @ parentsurvey2017.losd.ca (the link is also on our school website) or return the paper survey to the office. We are very interested in your input.
Please plan to attend Shoreline’s open house on Wednesday, March 8th from 6-7:30. We will also have our Spring book fair in the library.
High School Dates for current 8th graders (any grade student is welcome to attend these evenings):
Shoreline students can choose which high school they want to attend through the open enrollment process.
- January 20th through February 15th - Open Enrollment period
- February 2nd –Harbor High School Open House for 8th graders 6-8:30pm
- February 7th – Soquel High School Open House for 8th graders 6-8pm
- February 9th –Santa Cruz High School Open House for 8th graders 6-8pm
- February 15th and March 29th– Cypress Charter High School Open House for 8th graders 5:30-7pm
- February 15th- Math information night at Santa Cruz High School cafeteria 7-8pm
- TBD – All Shoreline 8th graders visit Soquel or Harbor
- March 6th – Class presentations from H.S. counselors & registration packets sent home
- March 9th – 6-8pm Soquel and Harbor Parent Night – Questions about enrolllment packet. Complete packets may be turned in during that evening.
- March 13th – H.S. Counselors meet with each student during Social Studies period to select classes (parents are welcome and encouraged to attend. Please contact Carrie Goodwin, Shoreline Academic Counselor for questions @ (831) 475-6565 ext. 304