Messages From Colleen Martin, Principal
Report Cards: Second quarter just ended, so the semester report card contains grades for both first and second quarters as well as a semester grade. Be sure to check your student’s grades at Illuminate Home Connect: https://losd.illuminatehc.com (Call the office for your login information)
2nd Step Social Skills Curriculum: We are implementing a Social Skills Curriculum called 2nd STEP. The Physical Education teachers and our school counselor taught lessons on recognizing bullying. These lessons are part of our school-wide approach to preventing bullying.
Student drop-off & pick-up: While we recognize that school traffic backs up on 17th Avenue during the ten minutes before and after school, please do not be tempted to pull into the bike lane to allow traffic to pass. It is not legal and not safe to stop in a bike lane. It is also not legal or safe to open your car door while idling on the street and expect your student to cross the bike lane and enter your vehicle. We have advised the California Highway Patrol and they will be ticketing when traffic laws are violated. We have been working with Safe Routes to School and Santa Cruz County Public Works to improve the flow of traffic in front of our school. In the meantime, consider avoiding the 10 minute window before and after school. Traffic flows much more smoothly outside of this peak time.
Reading & Math: All students took their second AR STAR reading assessment during the first week of January (enclosed in this envelope). Students should be reading 30 minutes per night in order to reach their AR goal for the quarter and finish the year with at least one year’s growth in their reading level. Middle school students need your help with signing their reading logs and encouraging them to read every night. Students should also be practicing IXL Math at home (it is typically assigned for homework, but students can go on at anytime to practice skills). If you child claims to have no homework, have them practice IXL for 30 minutes.
Yearbooks: Yearbooks are for sale in the office for $40. Purchase a yearbook before they sell out!
Parent Survey & Shoreline Open House: Parent surveys will were sent out by text and email on January 28. They are due by February 8. Our school library will receive $500 from the district if we have 50% parent participation on the survey. Parents can take it online at www.parentsurvey2019.losd.ca (the link is also on our school website) or get a paper copy of the survey from the office. We are very interested in your input.
Please plan to attend Shoreline’s open house on Wednesday, April 17, 6-7:30. We will also have our spring Book Fair in the library.
High School Dates for current 8th graders (any grade student is also welcome): Shoreline students can choose which high school they want to attend through the intradistrict transfer (open enrollment) process.
· January 20 through February 15 – Intradistrict Transfer (open enrollment) period
· January 30 – Santa Cruz High School Open House for 8th graders 5:30-6:30pm
· January 31 –Harbor High School Open House for 8th graders 6-8:30pm
· February 5 – Soquel High School Open House for 8th graders 6-8pm
· February 21 - Cypress Charter High School Open House for 8th graders 5:30-7:30pm
· February 25 – Class presentations from H.S. counselors & registration packets sent home
· February 26 – Spanish-speaking parent night at SHORELINE (Harbor and Soquel) 6-7:30pm
· February 27 – All Shoreline 8th graders visit Soquel, Harbor or Santa Cruz 9:45-12:30 (school bus)
· February 28 – Soquel and Harbor Parent Night 7-8pm (Questions about enrollment packet. Complete packets may be turned in during that evening at each high school.)
· March 4 – H.S. counselors meet with each student during Social Studies period to select classes (parents are welcome and encouraged to attend). Please contact Tierney Long, Shoreline Academic Counselor for questions @ (831)475-6565 ext. 1304